Dear Readers welcome to Awareness Adda. Spotting errors are one of the main important topics which are given examinations. here is the sixth part of the Spotting errors in English. All these golden points were most useful to solve the spotting errors topic in competitive exams. Keep practice in all points which were helpful to get a good score in your examinations.
SPOTTING ERRORS 101 GOLDEN POINTS PART-7
POINT NUMBER 61:-
Sometimes the error lies in the use of words proper attention must be given to the appropriate words.
- Prakash was leading a happy leisurely life after his retirement from his service. (wrong)
- Prakash was living a happy leisurely life after his retirement from his service. (correct)
Here the word leading is in appropriate one leads a group, team, moment..Etc, but not life.
POINT NUMBER 62:-
If in a sentence an opposition has been used the verb will follow not the opposition the noun, pronoun preceding it.
- You, my son is a very good boy.
POINT NUMBER 63:-
Proper, abstract and material nouns have no plural form except when they are used as common nouns.
- The house is built of bricks. (wrong)
- The house is built of brick. (correct)
When such nouns are used in plural they become common nouns with changed meaning as follows
- I found some coppers while flowing the field.
- This chair is made up of iron.
- This container made up of tin.
- Cans made of tin
- Tribal’s living in the wood. (wrong)
- Tribal’s living in the woods. (correct)
POINT NUMBER 64:-
Clauses in a sentence beginning with a relative pronoun.
(‘who’, ’which’, ’that’) take a verb according to the noun or pronoun preceding the relative pronoun.
- The boy he is my cousin who stood first in the mile race. (wrong)
- The boy, who stood first in the mile race, is my cousin. (correct)
POINT NUMBER 65:-
When two singular nouns joined by ‘and’ are preceded by ‘each’ or ‘every’ the pronoun used for the subject is singular.
- Each man and each boy is responsible for their actions. (wrong)
- Each man and each boy is responsible for his action. (correct)
POINT NUMBER 66:-
The relative pronoun should be places as the near as possible to its antecedent no ambiguity arrives
- The boy, who stood first in the mile race, is my cousin.
POINT NUMBER 67:-
Sometimes a pronoun is used where it is not required.
- He been an MA, he is qualified for the post. (wrong)
- He been an MA, is qualified for the post. (correct)
POINT NUMBER 68:-
Between you and I neither of us is wrong.
Between you and me neither of us is correct.
POINT NUMBER 69:-
When a pronoun comes after ‘like’ and ‘unlike’ it takes an objective case.
- A man like I will not do it. (wrong)
- A man like me will not do it. (correct)
POINT NUMBER 70:-
Pronouns joined by ‘and’ remain in the same case.
- He and her are brother and sister. (wrong)
- He and she are brother and sister. (correct)
- He and me are friends. (wrong)
- He and I are friends. (correct)
By practising the above points regularly. definitely, you will get a good score in your examinations. Share this article with your friends. and if you have any doubts write in the comments section. we will communicate with you. Thanks for visiting Awareness Adda. keep in touch with us,” Always remember that “. so be practice well All The Best…!