Dear Readers welcome to Awareness Adda. Spotting errors are one of the main important topics which are given examinations. here is the sixth part of the Spotting errors in English. All these golden points were most useful to solve the spotting errors topic in competitive exams. Keep practice in all points which were helpful to get a good score in your examinations.
SPOTTING ERRORS 101 GOLDEN POINTS PART-6
POINT NUMBER 51:–
When there is a scene of continuity that is when a thing has taken place in the past and still continues to the present the perfect tense in used.
- India is independent for the last 69 years. (wrong)
- India has been independent for the last 69 years. (correct)
- She has been studying in this initiation since July of 2014.
POINT NUMBER 52:-
Before words beginning with a consonant sound, ‘a’ is used
- A boy
- A horse
- A woman….etc
But ‘a’ is used before words like university, useful, unicorn, union, European and one…etc because their words begin with a consonant sound.
- Here is an university. (wrong)
- Here is a university. (correct)
POINT NUMBER 53:-
Similarly words like ‘hour’, ‘honest’, ‘hair’… etc take ‘an’ before them as they begin with a vowel sound.
- I have been waiting for him for a hour. (wrong)
- I have been waiting for him for an hour. (correct)
POINT NUMBER 54:-
Some important points to remember regarding the omission of a/an/the.
- Before a common noun used in its widest range.
- a man is mortal.
- Before the names of the materials.
- Bring is a useful metal.
- Gold is precious.
- Usually before proper nouns
- Markapur is the largest commercial center in our area.
- Before abstract nouns used in general scene.
- Beatty fascinates the people.
- Before names of languages
- Telugu is a difficult language to learn when compared to English.
- Before imitations or organizations like school, college, church, bed, table, temple, hospital, market, jail, and prison when these places are used or visited for their common purpose.
- My Christian friends go to the church every Sunday. (wrong)
- My Christian friends go to church every Sunday. (correct)
- Before names of relations like father, mother, sister, brother….etc
- Father is very happy today.
- Before predicative nouns denoting a unique position that is normally held at one time by one person only.
- He was elected chairman of the board.
POINT NUMBER 55:-
Use of ‘The’
- When the object is unique like follows
- The earth
- The sky
- Before superlative of the objects like follows
- The best
- The finest
- With proper nouns like seas, rivers, group of islands, a chain of mountains, deserts, newspapers, buildings, religious books, gulfs.
- The Arabian sea
- The Gangas
- The Taj mahal
- The Times of India
- The Ramayana
- Before a proper noun
- The immortal Kalidasa
- The brave allure Sita Rama Raju
- The line hearted Kandukuri Veeresalingam
- Before an adjective when the noun is hidden/ before the positive degree of adjectives to refer whole class.
- The rich should be kind and helping
- Before musical instruments
- I know how to play harmonium
- I cannot play the guitar
- With a class of things
- The cow is a useful animal
- ‘The’ should be used before both comparative degrees when they are used in a sentence for proportion.
- The harder you work the luckier you become an essay.
- The higher you go the colder you get.
POINT NUMBER 56:-
“What to speak of” is wrong the correct expression is “not to speak of”
- What to speak of running he cannot even walk. (wrong)
- Not to speak of running he cannot even walk. (correct)
POINT NUMBER 57:-
When there is a sense of dislike, hesitation, risk… etc in a sentence we should be used gerund instead of a verb after them.
Here gerund means the verb which passing but not in all contest
- I dislike to see film late in the night. (wrong)
- I dislike seeing film late in the night. (correct)
- Young girls hesitate to talk to strange. (wrong)
- Young girls hesitate to talking to strange. (correct)
POINT NUMBER 58:-
“Cent percent” and “word to word” or “word by word” are wrong ‘100 percent’ and ‘word for word’ are wrong.
- You are never cent percent sure of your success. (wrong)
- You are never 100 percent sure of your success. (correct)
- I can reproduce this lesson word by word. (wrong)
- I can reproduce this lesson word for word. (correct)
POINT NUMBER 59:-
‘Since’, ‘because’, ‘as’ and ‘for’ are means ‘because’, but there is a difference in their degree. ‘Since’ and ‘because’ are used for stranger reasons and ‘as’ and ‘for’ are used weaker reasons.
- I respect him as he is my teacher. (wrong)
- I respect him since/because he is my teacher. (correct)
- I could not attend the meeting because it was very hot in the day. (wrong)
- I could not attend the meeting as it was very hot in the day. (correct)
POINT NUMBER 60:-
Use of ‘when’ and ‘while’ proper attention must be paid to these words ‘when’ indicates a general sense,
‘While’ implies the time during the process of doing a work.
- When learning to swim, one of the most important things is to relax. (wrong)
- While learning to swim, one of the most important things is to relax. (correct)
By practising the about points regularly. definitely, you will get a good score in your examinations. Share this article with your friends. and if you have any doughts write in the comments section. we will communicate with you. Thanks for visiting Awareness Adda. keep in touch with us, Allways remember that “Practice makes man perfect“. so be practice well All The Best…!