Dear Readers welcome to Awareness Adda. today we learn about next article of Spotting Errors. all these rules are heplful for getting good score in exams.
SPOTTING ERRORS 101 GOLDEN POINTS PART-5
POINT NUMBER 41:-
‘So’ is followed by ‘that’.
- Kavitha was popular with her classmates that she always had some people coming to her for advice. (wrong)
- Kavitha was so popular with her classmates that she always had some people coming to her for advice. (correct)
POINT NUMBER 42:-
‘Unless’ expression a condition. It is always used in negative sense thus ‘not’ is never used in it.
- Unless you don’t labor hard you will not pass. (wrong)
- Unless you labor hard you will not pass. (correct)
POINT NUMBER 43:-
‘Until’ express time it has a negative sense and thus ‘not’ should never be used with it.
- Wait here until I do not return. (wrong)
- Wait here until I return. (correct)
POINT NUMBER 44:-
‘Since’ indicates a point of time and ‘for’ stands for the length of time
- He has been reading the book since 2 hours. (wrong)
- He has been reading the book for 2 hours. (correct)
- It has been raining for Monday last. (wrong)
- It has been raining since Monday last. (correct)
POINT NUMBER 45:-
‘As if’ is used to convey the sense of potential when ’as if’ is used in this sense ‘where’ is used in all clauses even with 3rd person singular.
- He behaves as if he was a prince.
POINT NUMBER 46:-
A past tense in the principles clause is followed by past tense in the subordinate clause
- He saw that the clock has started.
There are however two exceptions to this rule.
- A past tense in the principles clause may be followed by a present tense in a subordinate clause when it expresses a universal truth.
- The teacher observed that the earth moved around the sun. (wrong)
- The teacher observed that the earth moves around the sun. (correct)
When the subordinate clause is introduced by “then” even if there is past tense in principle clause, it may be followed by any tense required by the sense in the subordinate clause.
- He helped him more than he helped his own children. (wrong)
- He helps him more than he helped his own children. (correct)
POINT NUMBER 47:-
If two actions in a sentence are shown happening in the past, one after the other; the tense at that action happening first should be past perfect.
- The patient died before the doctor arrived. (wrong)
- The patient had died before the doctor arrived. (correct)
Two actions in the past one depending on other should have a sequence as follows.
- If you worked hard, you would pass the examination.
- If I had money I would help you.
Two activities in the past on depending on the other have the sequence as follows two completed activates.
- If she had asked me, I would have helped her.
POINT NUMBER 49:-
If in a sentence two actions are indicated and both are to take place in future the sequence of tenses will be as follows.
- If Indian team plays well it can win the world cup.
- I will inform you when he comes.
POINT NUMBER 50:-
When an action has taken place for two clauses in a sentence, it is used in both the clauses according to requirement.
- My brother has done and is still doing excellent work for his organization.
Next article will be published soon. keep in touch with www.awarenessadda.com. Thank you.